Ground broken for preschool and field house

ANSONIA – Ground has been broken for the new Ansonia Local School Preschool and Athletic Field House in a ceremony that preceded the Homecoming football game with the Tigers playing against and defeating Twin Valley South on Oct. 12.

Estimated total cost of the project is $2.8 million, with 85 percent of the project funded by the current general fund of the district. The remaining 15 percent will be funded by private donations.

The preschool, located on the first and second floor, is proposed to be 7,296 square feet with four classrooms with two bathrooms in each room and storage closets. There is a family restroom in the hallway of the preschool as well. The athletic facility is to be 14,880 square feet, with home/visitor locker rooms, restrooms, training room, an athletic director’s office, weight lifting/conditioning, 96-foot sprint lanes, two volleyball and basketball courts, while the upstairs will feature permanent baseball and softball batting cages.

This project has been in the works for 14 months, and on Aug. 11, the fundraising committee started the phase by contacting local businesses and individuals.

Daryl Riffle, representing the finance committee, welcomed those who attended the ceremony.

He thanked the Bruns Building and Design team members who were in attendance for being ahead of schedule.

Riffle then announced special donors who have pledged thus far. Donors on the superior level donation with $25,000 or larger, and the exceptional level designates those who donated $15,000 to $24,999.

On the superior level were: The Barga family; Greenville National Bank, Second National Bank, Rowland Trucking, J.L. Spencer Trucking, Superior Implement and Bryan and Alaina Clymer and her mother Janet Leis, while the exceptional level donors include Greenville Federal, Premier Insurance, Wayne and Sue Detling, Ansonia Athletic Boosters, Whistle Stop (Riffle family), American Legion, Premier Crop Insurance, Ansonia Lumber/Todd Klipstine and Klingshirn Trucking.

Ronnie Barga II, chairman of the fundraising committee, said the goal is $500,000, and noted that $411,000 has been pledged for over five years so far.

“This will be growing,” Barga said. “We will be accepting donations until the end of this year. It’s outstanding what it says about our community. This is state of the art.”

“The school board in the late 1960s had the insight to buy this 34 acres of land,” one of the speakers said.

The Ansonia Early Childhood Program began in the 1987-88 school year with a class of 16 students. It currently serves 96 students.

He recognized Alaina Clymer, who has been director of the program since the 1995-96 school year as well as some of the people in attendance who have been part of the Early Childhood Program and were able to participate in the ceremonies.

PHOTO CAPTION: Among those taking part in the groundbreaking ceremony of the proposed Ansonia Preschool and Athletic Field House, located just east of the football field, were, from left to right, school board members Ronnnie Barga II, Ryan Moody, Rhonda Williams, Joey Schmitmeyer and Clarence Kammer; Tanner Calvelage of Bruns Builders; Ansonia Elementary Principal Ashlee Fourman; Superintendent Jim Atchley; and Brittany Bruns and Mike Bruns, both with Bruns Builders. (Linda Moody photo)

Print Friendly, PDF & Email